There are a number of earthworks in the woods around the village of Odstock, and the meaning of the name is probably from Odo’s stockade. Odstock Hospital (now Salisbury District Hospital) was originally set up by the Government in the Second World War, from 1943 it was used by the United States 5th Army Medical Corps and provided support for the Normandy landings in 1944. Today the hospital is famous for its specialist burns and spinal units.
The church of St Mary comprises a three-bay nave, chancel, west tower and north porch. The chancel is believed to date from the 12th century, remodelled in the 13th, the font and nave also 13th century. A gravestone in the churchyard marks the burial place of Joshua Scamp, a gypsy who, to protect his daughter, took the blame for his son-in-law’s theft of a horse and was hanged. Legend has it that after Joshua’s death a gypsy curse was put on the church.