Coombe Bissett and Homington
St Michael and All Angel’s Church in Coombe Bissett has stood on the same site for over 900 years, the earliest mention was in the Domesday Book, AD 1086. The oldest part of the church dates from 1100 when it consisted of a nave, chancel and a chapel or tower to the south of the nave. The present chancel was built in the mid 14th century, whilst the tower, north aisle and transept are 15th century.
The Parish War Memorial for Coombe Bissett and Homington was erected in 1923/1924 in the churchyard of St Michael and All Angels Church. The cost was met by donations from parishioners and parish organisations. The Memorial, of Portland stone, consists of a Cross on a rectangular pedestal and shaft which, in turn, is on square base. It is believed that it was constructed by the then Templeman’s of Blandford Forum and was insured by the church for £95 at an annual premium of 10 shillings. The inscription on the pedestal reads ‘In Grateful Memory of the Men of Coombe Bissett and Homington who died in the Service of their King and Country in the Great War 1914-1919’.
In the middle of the tiny village of Homington is St Mary the Virgin Church. The earliest documentary record of St Mary’s is in a charter of the early 12th century, although there may have been a church in Homington before that date.
Coombe Bissett Down has sweeping views, swooping curves and steep slopes patterned by medieval terraces. In the spring and summer the slopes are ablaze with flowers and butterflies. The reserve contains fields that used to be sown with crops but have been restored to down land for the benefit of birds and invertebrates. Cattle and sheep are bred on the farm base to provide conservation grazing on the nature reserve. Breeds include Dexter cattle and Herdwick sheep.
Coombe Bissett is fortunate to have a village shop and post office: Coombe Bissett Stores.